Monday, January 9, 2012

It's a new year, it's time for change!

It's been time for change but this year is going to be the year that I succeed.  I have always been overweight.  There has never been a time in my life where I was a suitable weight even looking back at pictures when I was a young child, so thin or closer to thin would be something new to me.  Over the years I have tried several diets and would lose a little bit and get discouraged and 'quit'.  I stayed the same weight from 1994-2009, not a healthy weight but the same weight nonetheless.  After going through some very stressful times in my life I gained weight.  I'm not really sure how that happened because my food intake didn't change.  Stress?  Maybe. 

I have a few health issues that do make it harder for me but I have to do this.  During this period of stress,  I found out my blood sugar was above normal, not to a diabetes level but definitely enough to scare me.  Since that moment in time I haven't been religious about my goals but I have tried to be better.  I try to watch what I eat and am seeing a personal trainer once a week.  I was seeing a dietician and she drew up a meal plan for me but some of her goals for me were unrealistic so I stopped seeing her. I do try to keep the things she told me in the back of my head as I choose my foods.  The biggest thing for me is it's not about food, it's about the exercise.  I need to move more, 30 min a couple times of week will not work for me. 

So with that said, here's to new beginnings and improved health.

I can't say that I will update this blog everyday but I am going to do my best.  I am going to try to post my food and exercise journal to make myself accountable. 

Tips from the Dietician:
  • Never eat a carb without a protein
  • Eat good carbs, no potatoes, bread, etc.
  • Six small meals a day
  • 15g protein/6g carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • 7g protein snacks
  • Eat beans everyday
  • 2tbs peanut butter for evening snack - (helps sleep)
  • No caffeine and absolutely no artificial sweeteners
So here is today's:

(B):  1 cup unsweeted almond milk - 40 calories, 3.5 fat, 2 carbs, 1 fiber, 1 protein
(B):  1/2 banana - 50 calories, 0 fat, 13 carbs, 1.5 fiber, .5 protein
(B):  2 cups coffee - 4 vanilla creamers/6 splenda - 80 calories, 4 fat, 10 carbs, 0 fiber, 0 protein
(S):  English muffin - 120 cal, 1 fat, 25 carb, 1 fiber, 4 protein
(S):  2 tbs peanut butter - 190 cal, 16 fat, 7 carb, 2 fiber, 8 protein
(L):  6 small meatballs - 226 cal, 10 fat, 5 carb, 1 fiber, 25 protein
(L):  1 potato wedge - 50 cal, 1 fat, 8 carb, 0 fiber, 1 protein
(L):  1/2 cup pasta with very light marinara - 88 cal, .5 fat, 37 carbs, 1.5 fiber, 6 protein
(L):  1 cup salad (lettuce, onions, cucumbers), 20 cashews, 2 tbs raspberry vinagrette (cashews) 165 cal, 13 fat, 8 carb, 4 protein, (dressing) 50 cal, 3 fat, 7 carb, 0 protein
(L):  1 can Diet Dr Pepper
(S):  1 low-fat cottage cheese - 81 cal, 1 fat, 3 carb, 0 fiber, 14 protein
(S):  Cheetos - 160 cal, 10 fat, 15 carb, 0 fiber, 2 protein
(S):  Coffee - 1 vanilla creamer/3 splenda - 40 cal, 2 fat, 5 carbs, 0 fiber, 0 protein
(D):  1 cup Lentils with onions & celery - 230 cal, 1 fat, 40 carbs, 16 fiber, 18 protein

Daily Total
1570 calories, 66 fat, 185 carbs, 24 fiber, 83.5 protein

Exercise
  • Walked 3/4 mile during work hours.

Comments about Today
  • I forgot protein powder in my protein shake - DOH!
  • Cheetos, really bad decision
  • Need to drink water
  • Need to cut down on coffee/creamers
  • Carb count is too high, needs to go down. 
  • Calories a little on the high side.
  • Need more exercise - appointment tonight kept me from exercising

2 comments:

  1. Cheetos - the great temptation! :-) Exercise is my challenge as well. I just need to walk!!! Keep making healthy choices. 2012 is our year!

    ReplyDelete